Expiating acts & Elevating ranks

Mu'ath Bin Jabal, Ibn 'Abbas, 'Ubaydah Bin al-Jarrah, and others (RAA) reported that the Prophet (ASWS) was once so late in coming out to lead the morning prayer that the sun was about to rise. He came out of his home hurriedly, led the people in a (relatively) short prayer, and then turned toward them and said:

"Stay in your places, for I will tell you what delayed me this morning: I got up during the night and prayed for as long as was decreed for me. Then I became so sleepy while praying that I found it hard to continue (so I slept). I then saw (in a dream) my Lord (AWJ) in the best form.
He asked me, "O Muhammad, about what does the most supreme society (i.e., the angels) argue?" I said, "I do not know, my Lord." He asked me (again), "O Muhammad, about what does the most supreme society argue?" I said, "I do not know, my Lord." He asked me (a third time), "O Muhammad, about what does the most supreme society argue?" I said, "I do not know, my Lord." Then He placed His palm (on my back) between my shoulder-blades, and I felt the coolness of His fingers inside my chest. Everything then became clear to me, and I knew (the answer).He asked me, "O Muhammad, about what does the most supreme society argue?" I replied, "(They argue about) the expiating acts and (the acts that elevate) the ranks (of the believers in Jannah)."He asked, "
What are the expiating acts?" I replied, "(They are) walking (once and again) to
the jama'ah prayers, sitting in the place of prayer (saying thikr) after
prayers, waiting (with anticipation) for the (next) prayer after the (previous)
prayer, and performing complete wudu' (even in) disliked conditions."He asked,
"What are the (acts that elevate in) ranks?" I replied, "(They are:) feeding
food (to the needy), spreading (the greeting of) salam, speaking kindly (to
others), and praying at night while people are asleep." Then He commanded me,
"Ask (from me),"
Allahumma inni as'aluka fi'l-al-khayrat, wa-tark-al-munkarat, wa-hubb-al-masakin, wa-an-taghfira li wa-tarhamani. Wa-itha aradta fitnatan fi qawmin, fa-tawaffani ghayra maftun. Wa-as'aluka hubbaka, wahubba man yuhibbuka, wahubba 'amalin yuquarribuni ila hubbik—O Allah, I ask you (to guide me to) doing good deeds, avoiding evil deeds, and loving the needy. And ( I ask you) to forgive me and show me mercy. And when You will to afflict some people (around me) with a (destructive) tribulation, take my life without being changed (in faith). And I beseech You (to grant me) the love of You, of those who love You, and of all deeds that can bring me nearer to Your love."

It was recorded by at-Tirmithi, ahmad, and others. Verified to be authentic by al-Albani (as-sahihah no. 3169, as-sunnah nos. 388, 465-471, and Irwa'ul-ghalil no. 684).

Friends of Allah | Powered by Blogger | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com